Monday 6 February 2017

OUGD502 - Studio brief 01 - Build talk

Michael C Place of Build recently paid a visit to uni to conduct a talk to all three year groups of the course, in his talk he indulged us in his long and successful career as a designer. Prior the talk I'd already attended a number of events associated with Build as I greatly admire the studios work, so I was unsure what to expect this time around. As this was the longest talk I've seen from Michael, he was able to go into more depth about his practice, from studying in Scarborough to meeting Peter Saville for the first time, a experience he noted as 'sexy design'. My admiration for the studio only increased after the talk, as he showcased his work throughout the years it was even more apparent that he is incredibly influenced by music. This is similar to me but in his talk he was stern to advise to look elsewhere for inspiration, he mentioned to look further than Itsnicethat and broaden your design influences. I gained a number of things from the talk, he talked about how he is more likely to employ someone for their love of design over how good they are at actually designing. Also he can notice if someone is fully immersed in design, and that eventually gets noticed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment