Sunday 7 May 2017

OUGD502 - Studio brief 01 - Art of Modern Beer opening night

I recently attended the opening night of Art of Modern Beer which is a collaboration between Superfreindz and Colours May Vary for the Leeds Indie Food Fest. The exhibition aims to celebrate the art of the beer bottle with artwork from independent breweries such as Cloudwater, North, Beavertown and my personal favourite brewery for its visual output, Omnipollo.






It was a really nice to enjoy a cold beer in sun basked exhibition space, while admiring the beer related graphic design and illustration on show. With designers and artists such as DR.ME, Aliyah Hussain, Karl Grandin and Kasper Ledet all exhibiting work in this exhibition that shouts out to any beer/design fan. And on a personal note what I got from this exhibition other than the free beer, was finding out new and cool breweries such as Toøl, but also eventually discovering the designer who designs Omnipollo's bottles.

Ive always been curious to who creates the weird and wonderful illustrations for the Swedish brewery. And I discovered the brewery about a year ago and I will confess I did buy a bottle solely because of the design, as many designers do I assume. Now I know that purchase was down to Karl Grandin who is illustrator based in Stockholm and from further research finding out he actually runs the brewery along with Henok Fentie.

I would describe his style as minimal psychedelic as each bottle has a surreal ambiguous message. And as I looked more into the brewery after the exhibition, I was fascinated to find out the brewery is nomadic. As they conceive the recipes at home and travel to different breweries across the globe to craft the ales.

The Omnipollo at Kuvva Gallery in Amsterdam, 2014.





























Thinking back on the exhibition and what I really enjoyed about it, is that today many exhibitions use free beer to entice people to come along to the opening night. And this time around I found something rather satisfying about drinking beer while talking and taking in the work on show. It made for a really good experience, and one in which I could take further with research about certain brewers and artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment