Monday 16 April 2018

OUGD602 - Personal identity logotype ideas

From the off I wanted my identity to be a simple logotype which represents my style in subtle open manner. I generally lean towards sans serif typefaces with a geometric form when choosing typefaces to represent myself in presentations etc. Additionally, I consider using contemporary typefaces a key factor of my practice as I like to characterise work solely through the personality of a typeface. Therefore, when thinking about typefaces to represent me I wanted something niche. Something simple yet has distinctive features which can distinguish me amongst others. I whittled down sans serif options to Polar and Moderat, two geometric typefaces which are relatively similar in form but have some different characteristics such as the arm and apex.



























Polar is a neutral and expressive typeface with characters such as A,R,P and N giving it dynamic contrast. It can be suitable for small and large scaled type so can be perfect for a logotype. The second option is Moderat, a contemporary sans serif typeface characterised by a combination of geometric shapes and some edgy accents. 

As I want to communicate myself as a humble and versatile designer, I thought of ways of communicating this through the typeface. The versatility is covered through the use of a geometric sans serif typeface. While for communicating humbleness, I decided to set the characters all in lowercase to come across more neutral and less shouty. The use of the full stop in between forename  and surname creates distinction.



























From the options I decided upon Moderat by TIGHTYPE, as I feel the typeface can be utilised across more platforms and retain its style. Additionally, it can be used for logotype and body copy but I sensed Polar is too stylised for body copy, while Moderat is more neutral.

I purchased the desktop typeface from TIGHTYPE in regular size, therefore I am able to use the typeface at my own will. From here for additional development I kerned the type to be more compact  and increased the stroke width by 1pt to make it more unreserved.




No comments:

Post a Comment