Monday 19 March 2018

OUGD602 - 27 Club submission & event

I recently submitted to the 27 Club, an exhibition celebrating the myth of popular musicians, artists, or actors who died at age twenty-seven. My responses for exhibition focused on a legendary German nightclub which is named after the infamous dapper-dressed bluesman, Robert Johnson. Whose hedonistic ways and satanic pact made him the father of rock 'n' roll's long relationship with the dark side, Robert Johnson the club has plenty of that self-same ribald attitude. Each of my responses explore the visual culture of Robert Johnson, whether that be through black letter typography, location or the unique lemon shaped drink tokens which you can find in the club. I was lucky enough to selected for the event but even more luckier to have all four of my submissions exhibited, much to my surprise. The exhibition itself was great with plenty of amazing work on show, but even more impressive was the event organisation and curation by two second year graphics students.


No comments:

Post a Comment